Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Job Title: Engineering Technician Senior-Survey
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $15.36 - $23.03 Hourly
Job Type: Full-time Regular
Location: 700 N. Main St., Las Cruces, New Mexico
Print Job Information|Apply
Nature of Work Benefits Supplemental Questions
Performs complex paraprofessional surveying work in the development and implementation of Public Works projects. This position is specific to the Public Works Department/Project Development Section and is primarily responsible for survey-related duties. Position works both indoors and outdoors. Outdoor work involves exposure to all weather conditions, dust, noise, heavy traffic conditions, construction equipment and animals. Position involves light to moderate physical activity; ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 30 pounds; may involve squatting, bending, stooping, balancing, traversing, crawling, kneeling, crouching, digging, and climbing into and out of channels and trenches over rough terrain; ability to move about construction sites; visual acuity to evaluate field conditions; oral and listening abilities sufficient to perform essential job functions; safety clothing includes hard had, steel toe boots and traffic vest. Position involves occasional overtime to finish projects and adhere to project schedules and deadlines.
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET ALL MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Full-Time; Regular; Non-Exempt
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Collects field data and/or receives survey information in preparation for City project designs, including street lights, roadways, traffic systems, parking lots, drainage systems, utilities, earth work and other related projects for the City professional engineers; prepares drawings according to field conditions and in accordance with City design and CAD standards.
· Meets with City engineers, architects, and designers to discuss survey requirements and to ensure compliance with City design/CAD standards.
· Researches GIS data, property records, right-of-way information, instruments of record and not of record in preparation of survey projects or as requested by other City departments,
· Performs all Field-to-Finish operations for engineering design surveys, boundary surveys, public land surveys, topographic surveys, easement surveys, right-of-way surveys, control surveys, level loops, and other unclassified types of surveys in accordance with minimum standards for surveying in New Mexico and municipal code.
· Performs field surveys using GNSS (RTK and static), robotic, and conventional types of instruments and survey controllers. Conducts survey quality control, checks, takes detailed notes, and makes independent decisions regarding field operations.
· Performs office downloads of collected field data, verifies point data codes and descriptions; in conjunction with the City Surveyor, evaluates survey and project control, performs static survey baseline processing and network adjustments; prepares field data and data transformations for entry into CAD drawings; produces CAD drawings, including: engineering design base drawings, survey control sheets and reports, topographic TIN models, plats of survey, subdivision plats, vacation or dedication plats, easement plats, and right-of-way plats.
· Performs construction layout for in-house City engineering projects; locates and marks easements and right-of-ways in the field, and sets survey monumentation.
· Reviews subdivision plat submittals and documentation; researches legal documents to verify right-of-way and utility easements; prepares legal descriptions.
· Prepares preliminary engineering drawings from field data for proposed roadway, drainage, and utility designs as directed by the City project engineer.
· Maintains survey records, drawings, survey GIS layers and data, paper and digital files.
Associate of Science Degree in Surveying Engineering or related field PLUS four years progressive surveying experience that includes office and field operations. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
A valid driver’s license is required.NSPS Certified Survey Technician Level II (both Office & Field Tracks) must be obtained within one year from hire date.Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City policy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Considerable knowledge of: Proper field procedures and operations, types of surveys and survey computations; field note reduction and in depth plan interpretation and preparation; field-to-finish procedures; principles and practices of surveying, trigonometry, geometry, algebra, mapping, GIS and GNSS technologies, plat preparation, drafting, civil engineering design, construction project procedures, and boundary and topographic surveys.
Ability to: Communicate technical information in writing; read and interpret engineering plans, specifications, plats, maps and other related documents; read and understand regulations and ordinances; perform complex mathematical calculations; establish effective working relationships; operate a motorized vehicle; operate a personal computer and various software applications; use drafting equipment.
Skills in:Use of Trimble, Topcon, or related survey equipment; Civil 3D or similar CAD software; personal computer use in a network environment.